Friday, November 6, 2009

College Football Week 10 Predictions


HIGH EXPECTATIONS???

When the season started, I said that if the Utes can make it past Oregon, they would be 9-0 going into the TCU game. Well I would have been right(assuming the Utes take care of lowly New Mexico Saturday). I came to a realization while I was watching the Wyoming game on Halloween night. For many weeks now, the Utes have not looked sharp on offense and have been very inconsistent. They are not putting teams away like they did last year. They are ranked #14 in the BCS poll and are on the right track for a program that was supposed to be rebuilding. But I was frustrated with the lack of the killer instinct that was so present last season. Then I realized that maybe I am expecting too much from this team. Are we as Ute fans spoiled? Do we expect the Utes to roll over any opponent they are favored to beat? At what point did a win in our program become something less than a win? To be honest with you, I felt disappointed in myself as a football fan. Winning is everything and it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it. There have been several close calls but the Utes always find a way to win. So what if they came from two touchdowns down at Colorado State to win, or that it took OT to beat Air Force at home, or that we couldn't score a touchdown until the 4th quarter against Wyoming. The fact is is that the Utes are 7-1, 8-1 after Saturday and that is amazing. If you disagree with me, I want you to think about this. Imagine if the Utes had lost to either Colorado State, Air Force, or Wyoming. Or even two or more of them. Would that make you feel better? No way! I find it comical how the rivals are down playing our wins. They say that we struggled against a bad team, we make a QB switch this late in the year, are Offensive Coordinator gets demoted. Well I will take all of those along with a win over a loss by 30+ points at home in the spotlight. GO UTES!

Week 10 Predictions: Record: (31-7 Overall, 5-1 Last Week)

Utes 34- New Mexico 13: I don't want to say this is the week for the offense to break out, but New Mexico is the worst program in the country this year and the Utes want to get a full head of steam going into the biggest game of the season next week. I look for Jordan Wynn to start and build confidence and the defense to play as solid as always.

BYU 31- Wyoming 24: I think this might be a tough start for the Cougars. They had a bye week last week and the week before that they were creamed at home by more than four scores. That has got to take a lot of wind out of your sails. Nevertheless, they should pull things together in the second half and keep the Wyoming offense at bay.

TCU 35- San Diego State 21: This might shock some people but I believe the Aztecs will be able to put some points up against the TCU defense. They have a good QB and two really good wide outs.

Boise State 42 - Louisiana Tech 24- Not very many possible upsets coming Boise State's way but this one could trip them up.

Hawaii 21- Utah State 13: I want to pick Utah State, but that is more out of hope that Gary Anderson can get to 6 wins, rather than thinking with my head.

Alabama 17- LSU 13: This one has a lot of hype around it but I think it will be a rather boring SEC game. They haven't had too many high scoring games and some of them have been real slog fests. Alabama's running game is too much for LSU.

No comments: