Tuesday, October 27, 2009

College Football Week 8: Week 9 Predictions


HOW THE MIGHTY SHALL FALL!!

My oh my how things can change in just a matter of weeks. It wasn't but a mere 7 weeks ago BYU and all their fans were talking about how this was going to be the year of the Cougars. They were going to bust the BCS (which the Utes have done twice, Boise State once, and even Hawaii, it isn't really "busting" anymore) , they may even have a shot at the National Championship. That is the glory of College Football, you have to decide things on the field. Talk is cheap, please refer to my post "Season of Bliss", and don't say I told you so. The Cougar contingent build themselves up into something more than they can ever live up to be. With high expectations comes greater disappointment. Good thing BYU has a bye week to let this most recent disappointment sink in. I would hope they would learn from their mistakes but the thought of their hated arch rivals making it to two BCS bowls while they can't even get close to one, has to be killing them. Will they learn? Doubt it.

Utes:
Every year the game against the Air Force Academy makes me nervous. For some reason, these two teams always gear up for a close, hard fought game. Like I said all last week, Air Force has the ability to keep games close. They run the ball almost every snap and that in effect runs the clock down, which limits possessions. You have to be flawless against Air Force to blow them out of any game. This year, the Falcons have added a new scheme to their football team, Defense. All game long, their defense kept the Utes at bay. Terrence Cain looks rattled and a little gun shy at times. Nevertheless, I would rather see what I saw on Saturday, than see him force passes when he is unsure of the coverage. That will lead to INT's and more of what Air Force wants you to do. It is hard for me to say but I was not worried much about the injury to Matt Asiata. I knew Eddie Wide was fast and would be able to handle the load just fine. The only thing that concerned me was his pass blocking. Over the past few games, he has fixed that problem. The Utes have two fairly easy games before the big matchup with TCU. If I were Coach Whittingham I would open up the play book a little bit these next two weeks and get Cain's confidence back just in time for the big game in Texas. Meanwhile how good are the Utes?!?!? It shows what a team is really made of when they play horrible on offense and can still pull out a win. The team has a remarkable 28 WINS out of their last 31 GAMES. Never has their been a time that I have been more proud of my Utes.

Max Hall Interception Watch: 11 Interceptions- through 8 games


Week 9 Predictions: Record (26-6 Overall, 4-2 Last Week)

Utah 37- Wyoming 14- I expect a break out performance from our offense this week in the Blackout. Wyoming is 4-3 which is respectable, however, their wins have come over two FCS teams (Weber State, FAU) and MWC cellar dwellers UNLV and New Mexico. This one really shouldn't be close, and if it is then I will be concerned.

TCU 34- UNLV 10- TCU has a two headed monster- Great Defense and a fast and flashy Offense. UNLV can't defend and won't be able to score on TCU much. Not much of a contest.

Boise State 49- San Jose State 24- Another WAC barn burner. Boise State is just going through the motions. It must be hard on their fan base to watch them play these lousy teams. Of course, maybe they enjoy it because it is a scheduled win.

Utah State 24- Fresno State 21- I am going out on a limb here but I think Utah State keeps their small hot streak going.

Oregon 27- USC 20- I think there is a change in power for the PAC 10. Oregon seems to be on a mission since the first week debacle.

Texas 42- Oklahoma State 31- Shoot out in the Big 12. I think Texas may be the best team in the nation. The SEC is overrated again and nobody talks about Texas.

1 comment:

jamie lynette said...

I'm digging your commentary Chad. The Utes really have struggled more than I'd like to see this year, but a win is a win and I'll take it.

I hope your Oregon v. USC prediction turns out. It kills me that USC always is in the top ten with their losses to unranked teams. Lame lame lame.