Wednesday, October 21, 2009

College Football Week 8: Predictions

This is a huge week for both Utah and BYU. The news came this week of College GameDay's visit to Provo for the Saturday morning show. This is huge for the conference. The last time GameDay was in Utah was for the Utes undefeated season in 2004 and that was more for Urban Meyer than it was for the Mountain Wed Conference. I am excited for both of the school's matchups this week. Utah has a difficult game against Air Force, based on the fact that the last three games have all come down to the last possession. BYU has a make or break game for their season at home against undefeated TCU. If BYU can win, it will vault them into the standings back to BCS talk. If they lose, well then they will most likely drop from the rankings with their second home loss of the season and put them in third place for the MWC championship. The Utes have three straight home games. All of which they should be able to win. Then the big rematch with TCU looms following the home stretch. This is a stepping stone week for the teams and it will be interesting to see how both deal with the pressure. I am predicting 1-1. Can you guess who?



Max Hall Interception Watch: 10 Interceptions ( I suspect he will throw a few this week)


Week 8 Predictions: Record (22-4 Overall, 6-0 Last Week)

Utah 27- Air Force 14- Utah's defense is getting better and better as the year goes on. The offense needs some work. I think it is more on the coordinator than the Quarterback. I look for Utah to run the ball well and keep it pretty conservative. Air Force is very good in takeaways. Utah will jump on the lead early and keep it. Air Force does a good job keeping the score close due to their option attack. They limit possessions which makes it difficult for teams to build big leads.

TCU 26- BYU 23- TCU's defense is amazing. Max Hall has struggled against sub par secondaries. I think that a lot of people around here underestimate TCU. I imagine they will probably win the conference. They also may jump Boise State for the race for the BCS if they win out due to the piss poor schedule of Boise.

Boise State 34- Hawaii 21- This might be a tough game for Boise due to the travel but I don't see it holding them up past the first quarter.

Utah State 24- Louisiana Tech 20- Believe it or not, I am picking Utah State to win this game. It has been a tough road for them and I thought they would be bowl eligible this year but it appears as if I am wrong. This should be a game they can win based on how they have played so far this year.

Colorado State 20- San Diego State 14- Bounce back game for Colorado State after playing the conferences big three opponents.

New Mexico 26- UNLV 21- I would find it ironic if New Mexico gets their first win here with their new head coach suspended for this game. The Lobos are horrible but UNLV isn't much better. I can't imagine this will be a blow out either way. I would like to see New Mexico win at least one game.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

I hope your predictions are right. I think BYU is going to have to put up a pretty good fight against TCU, Max Hall was Mountain West player of the week for the second time.. maybe he has gotten the interceptions out of his system. TCU knows how to stop Unga, it'll be interesting.. it is a home game, plus the attention of Game day-- can BYU handle the attention and pressure?? Excited to be back home with the UTES!! Go Utes!!

Jeff said...

I'm seriously scared for the BYU game this weekend. Hmmm...I'm also scared for my fantasy basketball picks.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

BYU is going down. I don't think he has the interceptions out of his system, he has just played weaker opponents. He will throw at least one this week. You better watch out in Fantasy Jeff, I am crazy amazin. You should draft Kobe Bryant, he will do wonders for your team.