Monday, October 5, 2009

College Football Week 5: Week 6 Predictions

I hate bye weeks. I find it hard to get pumped up for the games on Saturday, knowing that my team is not playing. Nevertheless, it happens. There were a few good games on Saturday to help get me by the off week of my Utes. First off, I love College Football's overtime system. It is the most fair, but also the most exciting format. Two games that I had a rooting interest in went to OT. Michigan State intercepted a pass by Tate Forcier in the first session of OT, all they had to do was kick a field goal to win it. However, they broke free on a running play that should have only gained a few yards, and got the touchdown to win it. Michigan State with the upset, which I picked! The second game was Notre Dame v. Washington. It seems as if all of the Irish games this season are going down to the wire. ND got the ball first and scored on a 1 yard rushing TD. Then Washington was incapable of doing anything and ND won by knocking the ball and player out on the last play. Those two games are a good way to get over the doldrums of not being able to watch your team.

Cougars: BYU won fairly easily this week, however, I thought that USU showed a lot to stay in the game. I think that BYU might have a complex because with the game in hand late in the 4th quarter, BYU is throwing passes instead of running the clock out. Then they throw a TD pass to put them up 35-10. Now, no one would say you were running up the score if you run one in for a touchdown but when you feel that you need to rub it in someone's face by doing that, that is where I have a problem. They have a complex that a win is not enough, they need to prove to themselves that they can run up the score. And you wonder why no one likes you BYU, outside of your own fans. Maxy is still having a problem with interceptions, and with the Oct. 24th matchup with No. 10 TCU looming, he better get those resolved.

Mountain West Conference: I need to do a little shout out for my little boy and coolest stud man Carter, for winning the MWC photo of the week contest. Way to go dude. However, outside of that, the MWC had a absolutely horrible week. You lose to Idaho and almost to Florida Atlantic and then get absolutely humilitated against rival Nevada. Come on MWC! There are three elite teams and then the rest are just going threw the motions. I think it is time to get rid of a few teams and bring in Boise State.


Max Hall Interception Watch: 10 Interceptions through 5 games



Week 6 Predictions: Record (13-2 Overall: 5-0 Last Week)


Utah 34- Colorado State 17- I was a little concerned about this game a few weeks ago but since the loss at BYU and at Idaho, the Rams are not who we thought they were, courtesy of Denny Green. Utah does well after bye weeks and especially with the loss of Asiata, the bye gives the coaches a chance to come up with a different game plan with Eddie Wide taking over.

BYU 27- UNLV 14- BYU does a good job letting teams hang around, especially with Max Hall gift wrapping passes to the defense. I don't think any team will beat BYU outside of the other Big 2 teams, except maybe Air Force. I really expected UNLV to be good this year, I was wrong.

TCU 24- Air Force 17- Air Force has dropped two winnable games in the past few weeks against Minnesota and Navy. They do a good job keeping games close and I am still uncertain how good TCU is due to their so-so non-conference schedule. This game should be close and relatively low scoring. Air Force runs a lot of clock and that limits possessions.

LSU 26- Florida 24- I am going with an upset here. The LSU v. Georgia game was very exciting to watch and set up a huge game this week. Florida does a good job playing crap teams at home to start the season. If you are the #1 team in the nation, act like it and play decent competition. With the game in Baton Rouge and Florida untested and Tebow no longer invincible, LSU will win in another thrilling fourth quarter rally.

New Mexico 20- Wyoming 17- Since Boise State is on bye this week I decided to pick the last MWC game. New Mexico is bad, real bad. Wyoming is bad, real bad. So who wins out of this game? To be honest with you, I bet ten people watch this game outside of the two school's fan bases, and seven of those ten will fall asleep after the first quarter, two will turn it off after half-time, and one poor sap will have his remote broke and will be too lazy to change the channel the old fashion way and be stuck watching this game. All joking aside, this game has the formula for a real drudge match. New Mexico wins because someone has to.

4 comments:

Lydia said...

Love the blog!! You should include the winning photo of Carter, since it was so awesome! I'm totally impressed with ND this season. They have really pulled it off the last two weeks. Go Charlie Weis!!

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

Yeah, I think you are right about Notre Dame Lydia. The only problem is that you can't keep having these close games because eventually they will lose one or two. It makes College Pick em Interesting though.

LuckyCoach said...

I enjoy the college OT system, but the problem I have with it, is the lack of a phase of the game. Football has 3 phases of the game: Offense, Defense and Special Teams.

Ask any coach and they will tell you the game is all about field position, which is all about special teams. A good special teams is just as important as a good offense, some cases it can replace offense, and a good defense. A bad special teams will kill a good team every time.

The college OT system takes out the special teams element of the game. I wish college and pro would use the same system they currently use in college, except kick the ball off like normal. None of this starting out in field goal range crap.

BTW I like the picks this week, I don't think I disagree with any of them. I think Max Hall will be at 12 after this week.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

I think it will be at 12 also, he is consistent like that. I think the fact that they start in the position they do is what makes it exciting. Punting is not as exciting and they use a little of the special teams, Field Goal unit.