Friday, September 18, 2009

Memories of Coach Sloan

With the Hall of Fame Inductions happening last week, I was thinking a lot about our two Jazzmen who were elected into the Hall of Fame, specifically Jerry Sloan. Sloan is one of the best coaches in NBA history. I really enjoyed listening to his speech about how he got his start and the type of person that he is. I have been privileged enough to have met him on three different occasions. The first, and probably most memorable, was at the Rocky Mountain Revue. This was when the Revue was at East High School, I think I was 11 years old. I remember that very well, It was so hot that they had to keep the doors open and had these huge industrial fans blowing all over the gym. That same day, my Aunt from Canada had sent my brother, sister, and I some pink tye dye hats. I cannot begin to describe what these hats looked like, but they really stuck out. My mom forced us to wear these hats to the games. So we see Jerry Sloan sitting on the other side of the gym. My dad convinces us to go and get his autograph. So we went and sat a few feet away from him on the bench. We didn't do anything at first, just sat there. He kept looking over at us. Imagine with me if you will, these two little kids with these pink hats coming and sitting next to Jerry Sloan. Everytime he looked over we were just sitting there starring at him. Finally I mustered up enough courage to say "hi" but my throat was dry and it was really soft, my little brother Jonny kind of snickered at me. So we sat there for a few more minutes. I think Sloan was probably as nervous as we were. Now keep in mind that I really liked Jerry Sloan, almost as much as Karl Malone. So this was really cool for me. I got so excited I finally stood up right in front of him at the next timeout, Jonny stood up with me, and he looked at Jonny and I and said the words that I will remember forever, "How are you girls doing." Jonny gets all mad and says, "We aren't girls we are just wearing these stupid girly hats," he then ran off. I stayed and Jerry was laughing and signed my piece of paper. I shook his hand and then I ran off. His hand shake was and is still the firmest handshake that I have ever had.

Second experience, I had won a contest to be able to go and meet some of the Jazz players and have a tour of the Delta Center. I took a friend of mine and we meet players like Matt Harpring, Andrei Kirilenko, and former Jazzman Mo Williams. As we went to the Coach's office for a tour we got to meet Jerry Sloan and Phil Johnson. This was memorable to me because he was joking with me about playing basketball. He said, "You play basketball?" "When you dribble the ball, it won't come back up, it will just pop when it hits the floor. You should play football and give basketball up." Man, I was laughing but that stung a little bit. So we had someone take a picture of Jerry and I and then we shook hands, same strong handshake, and we left. About two minutes later I realized I forgot my camera case. So I went back in his office and grabbed my case and as I was walking out he says, "See what football does to you, it messes you up and makes you forget stuff." One last little dig before I left. That was a great night and I really enjoyed the interaction I had with him.

Third experience, this one wasn't as cool and funny as the other two but my wife and I won season tickets to the Jazz two years ago and we had a meet the team party. We were able to get a lot of autographs and photos with players. I was hoping that Sloan would be there again as well. So I found this really old basketball card I had of him when he first took over the coaching job for the Jazz. He had dark hair and looked completely different than he did now with his gray hair. He was infact there and we were able to go and talk to him for a minute. When I pulled out the card he just laughed. He said, "Well that was a long time ago, before these kids (pointing to Paul Milsap) gave me all this gray hair." He signed the card and we shook his hand and he said, "take care," as we walked away. That was a good experience as well because it was the first time my wife was able to meet him and I may never have the opportunity to talk with him again.

These experiences are very special to me as a life-long Jazz fan. I have a lot of respect for him and how he has lead the team over the years. One day when my kids are older, I think that they will want to know about the legendary Coach Jerry Sloan and I will have these cherished memories of being able to meet the man himself.

6 comments:

Lydia said...

I love it!! Great stories. My favorite is of you and Jonny in your cute pink tye dye hates. Maybe you should post that pic you have with sloan.. it would be a great touch. Sloan is the man!!

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

pink hates?? I have those photos somewhere at home but I need to find them.

Lydia said...

Okay a spelling error. A photo would be great!! I also like that part of the story that Courtenay couldn't get an autograph by Blu Edwards because he thought she already got one, because you and Jonny looked so girly or maybe Courtenay looked masculine??

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

Yeah, that was the same time. We got his autograph right after we got Sloan's. The funny thing was is that neither Jonny nor I liked Blue Edwards.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtenay said...

Sad thing is, I liked Blue Edwards...I still have that UNSIGNED basketball card of his...
Lydia, do I look masculine often?