Wednesday, September 16, 2009

NFL Week 1: Week 2 Predictions

Well the NFL is officially underway. It is a great time of the year, my favorite. Especially with Fantasy Football starting, kick aside Fantasy Baseball and let's roll. There were some intriguing matchups this past week. My favorite, Tennessee v. Pittsburgh. As a Titans fan, this one was a little disappointing in the end. Nevertheless, the Titans defense played well for the most part of the game but ran out of gas late in the 4th quarter and OT. I wouldn't be surprised if these teams meet again in the postseason. The other game that I found interesting was the Bills v. Patriots, I wanted to see how Tom Brady played coming back from injury, mainly because he is my fantasy QB. I was a little disappointed in his game at first. He was overthrowing receivers or throwing behind guys, it was a rough start. Just as I was about to turn off the game, He hit Watson for his first TD of the game. I thought, wow, took long enough. Then I went into the kitchen to clean up a bit and came out a few minutes later and saw the New England had the ball again. Then, BAM, TD number 2. I thought, okay, now he is back. New England is the team that everybody loves to hate but this year I am kind of pulling for them to do good. I hate Belichick but I like Randy Moss. Another thing I like to watch for is how ex-Ute players do. If anybody stayed up to see the Chargers v. Raiders game on Monday night, they saw a great hit by Eric Weddle. I can't remember the name of the receiver but it was probably tattooed across Weddle chest after that hit. Nothing like having a big hit and then watching the receiver limp off to the sideline. That reminds me of a funny Cougar story. My brother Jonny and I were at a Utah v. BYU game and Quinton Ganther had a nice powering run and right at the end of it a BYU safety, something Gooch, came up to make a hit. Ganther absolutely ran him over, the funny thing is is that it was Gooch who had to be carried to the sideline. Usually it is the offensive player but not old "Goochie." I love that story. Classic Cougar defensive backs.


Ute Player Watch:
Paul Kruger: NA
Sean Smith: 2 solo tackles, 2 pass deflections.
Eric Weddle: 6 tackles-5 solo, 1 pass deflection, 1 punishing hit.


Week #2 Predictions-*Each week I am going to make 8 picks for the most intriguing games. I am going to keep my record starting this week and post it at the bottom right below the predictions. We will see how I do.

Tennessee 24 Houston 13- Tennessee is going to have a big bounceback game after the OT loss at Pittsburgh.

NY Jets 26 New England 24- I am calling the upset on this one. New England's run game was exposed and Brady can't pass that many times everygame and be effective.

New Orleans 31 Philadelphia 17- I don't think this one will be very close. Without McNabb, Philadelphia will have to rely on its defense, which is great, but not enough to stop Drew Brees.

San Francisco 23 Seattle 17- I think that the 49ers keep it going this week. Seattle looked decent in Week 1 but it was against the Rams. I look for the 49ers defense to play well and they will go 2-0 in their division.

Pittsburgh 20 Chicago 14- This will be a defensive battle. Both teams are without their defensive leaders (Polamalu, Urlacher). But I think that both teams have the players to overcome this. Good comeback for Cutler but Big Ben and the passing attack will pull through in the 4th quarter to win it on the road.

San Diego 23 Baltimore 20- Baltimore's defense is great, best in the league in my opinion, but Phillip Rivers is good enough to put just enough on the board to make it past Joe Flacco and the boys. Look for Sproles to get a lot of touches in this game with Tomlinson nursing the ankle.

Dallas 34 NY Giants 27- This game will have a lot of scoring as well as a lot of fans. I am hearing over 110,000 for the home opener in big D. Despite the ankle, I look for Romo to have a big game. Hopefully Roy Williams as well (my Fantasy WR). I think that the Giants will get a lot of production from Brandon Jacobs but Manning will be less than stellar. Not a lot of defense in this game.

Indianapolis 31 Miami 10- I don't know if Miami has what it takes this year. Pennington doesn't seem to be the leader that I think that they need. Ronnie Brown should have a better showing that he did last week but Manning, Wayne and the gang will be too much. Look for Indy to jump on the Dolphins early and often.


Let me know your thoughts by posting your comments on the bottom of this post. Also, join me and others as followers of this blog. Click on Followers on the right hand side.

Midge

3 comments:

Jeff Garney said...

This red on black is really hard to see. I suggest blue on white, which is calming both to the eyes and soul. Amen.

Lydia said...

I agree partly with Jeff, red on black is hard for me to read. Maybe black on red would be better-- stay away from the blue and white. I like the Ute followings.. we'll have to see how well you predict those games. I predict that you'll be about 50% right.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

50% right? Are you kidding me? I am going to get at least 6 out of the 8. I am predicting 4 for 4 on the college picks