Monday, September 14, 2009

Week 2: College Football

Week 2 of the College Football season had a lot of hype but failed to live up to it. I was excited for the later games of the day. Notre Dame v. Michigan was good as well as USC v. Ohio State. Can you believe I actually thought Ohio State would beat USC? Stupid Big Ten. But the MWC games weren't as exciting as what I hoped for. Air Force losing to Minnesota and UNLV losing late to Oregon State. The MWC took a step back this week, in my opinion.

I was not surprised with the wins by TCU & BYU. I thought TCU would roll and I thought BYU would jump on the Tulane Green Wave early. Which they did not do. I was wondering what was going on as it was BYU 6 Tulane 3 with only about 5 minutes left in the half. Then two quick touchdowns and the game wasn't worth watching. Tulane looked minuscule in size and talent compared to BYU. There was one telling point in the game about the Tulane team. Tulane ran and half-back pass designed to go to the QB. As the ball approached the QB, who has making his way to the end zone, two BYU defenders were in hot pursuit. With the ball within reach the QB simply got scared and sort of ducked as the ball was coming in. That to me showed the toughness of Tulane. At that moment, I knew that they would not stand a chance. The score was 6-0 at that point. Tough Game for BYU next week. They will have to start out better on offense than they did in their first two games if they are going to win.

Utah: As a Ute fan this one was hard to watch. The first drive we moved the ball with ease. No problems whatsoever. Then the second drive, John Peel fumbled. We lost momentum for that drive. Third drive, Matt Asiata fumbled. Once again we lost our momentum. From then on out it seemed as if we were not playing with any urgency. Defense played good, too many pass interference calls but that is Utah's specialty. Three HORRIBLY kicked field goals by the biggest goof ball on the team, don't think we will see much of him anymore. So with all of the mistakes, I kept thinking that eventually we are going to push through and put those guys away. That is exactly what happened in the early part of the fourth quarter. Two straight touchdown scoring drives and it was 21-7 and pretty much over. One last attempt by San Jose State but not enough as we pulled through to a 24-14 victory. The Utes dropped one spot in the AP poll, rightfully so, and moved up to 16 in the more important poll- the coaches poll. Both polls are important but the coaches poll factors into the BCS formulas while the AP poll does not.

So looking ahead to next week, what team has more on the line? BYU or Utah? I should rephrase that and ask, "What team cannot afford to lose?" My opinion is that it is the Utes that cannot afford to lose. If BYU loses, sure their far fetched hopes of a BCS National Championship are gone but their hopes of a BCS birth are still there. A one-loss MWC team could get in, Boise State loss pending. If the Utes lose, they will most likely drop out of the Top 25 and end the current 16 game winning streak. A loss will also put them far behind in the BCS race as well. They would need to win out and I still don't think that would be enough. BYU needs to watch out and humble themselves just a bit. FSU is fast, really fast and it will be a big test for BYU. BYU should be favored by about 7, is my guess, but I am predicting a score of FSU 27 BYU 21. Sorry Cougs but I think that FSU is a great team and I love Bobby Bowden. BYU is a lot better than I expected but I just haven't seen enough to tell me they will be undefeated. Good thing is that the Cougs have the schedule that Utah did last year, both good MWC teams at home. Feel free to tell me I am wrong. As for the Utes, I think that it will be a tough battle from start to finish. I could see this one getting away from the Utes if they don't score early. As tough as this match up is, It is not even the first or second toughest road game we have this year. I am thinking that Oregon will probably be favored, my guess is by 3 points. But I have faith in my team and I think they will overcome the crowd and win in a squeaker.

Week 3 Predicitons.

Utah 31 Oregon 27- High scoring game but Utah's defense wins it for them.

FSU 27 BYU 21- I think BYU will strike first and have the lead at halftime but FSU will pull ahead late in the fourth quarter.

Boise State 38 Fresno State 24- I am thinking this one might be closer than my prediction but I think the the Broncos are too much to handle for Fresno State. FSU has a good team this year though.

Utah State 6 Texas A&M 42- Sorry Aggies but the Aggies are going to win this game. Confusing- I know. Aggies will win! I promise you!

6 comments:

Lydia said...

Tough week for BYU and Utah. Utah CANNOT afford to lose. I believe that both games will lay ground work for the rest of the season.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

I think you are right Lydia, both games set up a big year if they are wins and they will set back both teams with losses.

Unknown said...

This is probably the most complementary of BYU I have ever heard you Chad. I think BYU wins. The fans will be fired up and Florida State is not as good as everyone thinks. They are very athletic but undisciplined. BYU needs to keep the offensive balance and they should win by 14. Utah should actually win this week. Oregon is overrated and I think they will be exposed by Utah. A win by both teams sets up the rest of the schedule to become very interesting. BYU should not be tested again until TCU and neither should Utah. This could become a very special season for the Mountain West. GO Cougars!!

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

I think you are right about FSU. They are undisciplined but the game against Miami was a very well played game and I though FSU would pull it out. The schedules do favor BYU and Utah until the TCU match ups so it is a very crucial week for both teams.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Midge I like that your doing a blog so I can comment and/or rebuttle it with a tidbit of the "Superior Mind of Saint." Good News that your Utes won, but I have to agree with you. It was not pretty. They are now 0-2 ATS. Next weeks match up with Oregon in Oregon, i think will be too much to handle. My prediction: Utah 17 Oregon 28. Don't bet on the Utes, unless you want to bet with me. Your BYU prediction is way offline. Granted it'll be closer than 54-3, but expect BYU to roll in this one. Max Hall will throw at least 3 td passes. The final BYU 38 FSU 21. As for the Boise St. game i agree with your prediction. Well, Ally just got home with the boys so I'll talk to you later on facebook or something.

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

Adam I think you are wrong. FSU is better than how they have played. And I don't know the quality of the opponent of BYU yet. OU was a big win, don't get me wrong but I don't know if they are very good yet.