Friday, September 11, 2009

Season of Bliss

As each College Football season begins, I often reminisce of the past season and a way the team can improve upon last year's mistakes. However, with this particular year, I find that not to be very necessary. For those of you who know me, I live Utah Utes Football. It is my ultimate passion in sports. It is my Alma Mater, it is my current employer, and outside of my family and religion, it is my life. So to experience the season that was Ute Football 2008, was an absolute dream come true.

Sure the Utes had been to the BCS before, but as I sat watching the final quarter of the Cougar beat down that took place last November, I realized that this was not like before. This was completely different. Before was the first, yes that is true, but this time the Utes defied all odds. All year we had to listen to the mindless nonsense that the Cougar fans and players were pumping into our heads. "Quest for Perfection" they shouted. "This is our year." All year long I had to suffer through this endless tongue bath of how great the BYU Cougars were. Well what do you know, It was them that were on the wrong side of a 32-7 beating at the hands of TCU. Meanwhile, the Utes, behind proven winner Brian Johnson, kept winning and winning and winning. Some of the games were close but it was the heart of champions that pushed that team along. Then for the crowning moment, a 48-24 drubbing of the once hailed "team of destiny," BYU Cougars. Funny how talk is cheap.

Another monumental thing occured in my life during the 2008 football season, I became of father. In fact, I had just brought my newborn son home from the hospital the night of the big Oregon State game. We watched it at home and I was screaming inside but had to keep it quiet. I would be in a world of trouble if I woke the baby up. However, when King Louie kicked the game winning field goal, I just burst. Sure enough the baby woke up and my wife has a little upset with me. It was worth it though. It was a tough decision to decide if I should go to the Sugar Bowl. The prestigious Alabama Crimson Tide awaited my beloved Utes and I felt that as a life-time Ute fan, I should be there to cheer them on for the most important game in school history. It was tough to leave my wife and three month old son home while I traveled through 5 states in one day to make it to Louisiana. As I sat there looking up at the scoreboard, 21-0 in the first quarter, I could not believe my eyes. I was speechless. My throat hoarse a long time ago, I felt as though I was in a dream. As the last second ticked off the clock and the celebration began, I remember shouting at Alabama fans as they left, "SEC has nothing on us!!!" What a night that was. I will always remember that and always remember the pride I had for our guys.

So as this year has begun in a stunning way, with the Cougars upsetting the #3 team in the nation, and all the talk of BCS and National Championships ring out, I just sit back and laugh. Some people never learn. One game is exactly that, one game. And as the Utes extend the nations longest winning streak to fifteen games, I don't expect an undefeated season. I don't expect a #2 National Ranking. But what I do expect is our program to keep building, our fan support to keep rising, and our team to keep winning. We may not be 12-0, but I know we will be great. Ute fans-relax. We have been to the mountain top twice. We have tasted the glory twice. We have proven everybody wrong twice. Cougar fans do not know what it is like, they have not experienced what we have. Let them have their talk, let them have their short time in the spotlight, let them have their #9 overrated ranking. Just remember that talk is cheap. And keep in mind that we are the first, we blazed the trail, we lead the way, and everybody else is just trying to catch up.

"Those who do not learn from the past, are destined to repeat it"

GO UTES!