Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 3: College Football- Week 4 Predictions

Last College Football post I mentioned how I thought that the Utes had more to lose this week than BYU. Now that the weekend is over and both teams failed to perform, I feel like I was wrong. BYU had a lot more to lose than the Utes. Utah wasn't expected to go undefeated and BYU fans expected the Cougars to be playing for the National Championship. I just don't get it, please help me understand Coug fans. Why do you hype your team up so much when there has only been a few games played? I really have a hard time understanding why you would want to do this to yourselves. I watched the reaction of Cougar fans and it was complete let down and devastation. I just wish you would learn, just like you should have learned last year. I called the upset but I did not envision it being this much of a beat down and humiliation.

Now for the Utes. It was a tough loss only because it has been so long. 16 straight games! Wow, now that it is over you can look back at what an accomplishment it was. Did we believe that the Utes would go all year without a loss? No. Did we think that Oregon would be a tough game? Yes. Then why is this one so hard to swallow. It is because it was within our grasp. We made the mistakes, we dropped pass after pass, we failed to score on the 2 right before half-time. It was us making the mistakes and this one was ours to take and we did not cease the opportunity. That is why this one is hard to swallow. Not because we haven't lost since 2007, not because our perfect season is ruined, not because we dropped out of the top 25, but because we could have kept it going longer. The streak should still be alive.

I have a new favorite phrase that I heard on ESPN. "Show us, don't tell us." Show us BYU, show us how good you are. Don't just tell us. Don't pump yourself up, don't gloat about how great you are when you are 2-0! 2-0! hasn't won JACK! Bobby Bowden himself even said how he was going to use the cockiness and arrogance of the Cougars to take advantage of them. Respect?? Bowden did not respect the Cougars, you could see it on the field as they walked all over them. They did whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Heisman Watch?? Max Hall now has as many TD's as interceptions. Scratch that, he through a TD to FSU, if you want to count that as a touchdown.

Utah has issues. They have a lot of issues that they need to work out. I am seeing coaching mistakes that we are not use to seeing. I think the new coordinator's errors are starting to show more and more. I am concerned. I am concerned about Louisville when before it looked like it would be a walk through. I am concerned about Terrance Cain. I am concerned that we could not stop the run when we know the the Oregon QB cannot pass the ball. These concerns don't seem to be going away anytime soon.

So much for National respect for the conference. You don't get respect losing to an unranked team on the road when you are ranked 18. And you certainly don't get respect losing at home by 26 points to an unranked team.

Time to regroup and start climbing the mountain again.

Week 4 Predictions: Record (3-1)

Utah 31- Louisville 17- Good bounce back game for the Utes. I look for Terrance Cain to have a nice performance against the Cardinals. But I imagine this one will be over in the third quarter and the Utes will use a heavy dose of Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide to finish the game.

BYU 42- Colorado State 21- The Rams have a really good team this year but I don't expect the Cougars to overlook another opponent anytime soon. 18 straight homes win streak was snapped, when was the last time the Cougars lost two in a row at home?? Not this time. Cougars in a landslide.

Boise State 49- Bowling Green 31- I may be way off on the Bowling Green score but after watching the horrendous defense of Boise State let a lowly Fresno offense run all over the field on them big play after big play, I am forced to believe that the Broncos will give up some points. Another powerhouse on the Boise State schedule (notice the sarcasm). Broncos win easily.

Utah State 31- SUU 10- I was very impressed with how Utah State played against Texas A&M. I picked Texas A&M in a blowout but USU kept it close. Finally Utah State gets a chance for a win. They should have no problem with Southern Utah and then they face the Cougars in Provo next week. So enjoy your week Aggies because things will change next week.

Clemson 27- TCU 21- I am picking an upset in this matchup. Clemson had a good showing against Georgia Tech and then really handled Boston College. This game is at Clemson and I think TCU will struggle but keep it close.

6 comments:

Lydia said...

Not bad Midge with the predictions. I agree with you that the BYU fans started talking too soon. When a friend told me last week that they(BYU) were going to make it to the National Championship I wanted to laugh. First things first Cougs. Line upon Line, Milk before the Meat. Utes have a lot of things they need to work on but it'll come together. Hopefully sooner than later they'll learn from the last two weeks games.

J. Garney said...

I think Bowling Green may make it closer than that at home. They brought it against Missouri and almost won on the road. Same against a decent Marshall team.

J. Garney said...

P.S. Kind of low-hanging fruit on the Utah State/SUU pick, dontcha think, Midge?

Lydia said...

Low-hanging fruit? What does that mean. Personally I would like to see SUU win.

J. Garney said...

Meaning that even NAU (my alma mater) beat SUU last week. Low-hanging fruit = easy pickin's

The Vastly Intelligent Mind of the Midge said...

I pick the games for the three local teams as well as Boise State and TCU. That is just the games that I find people will be most interested in.